Monday, November 23, 2009

Meet the Northside Crafters: Robyn Stewardson

We are really excited to welcome Robyn to our Northside Makers Market. Her portfolio looks really interesting and we hope that you can find lots of Christmas presents in her range.

Tell us about what you sell ...

Photographs and cards. Calenders around this time of year, too. These days my photography is mostly Macro or patterns and I have a penchant for the obscure and patterns found in nature, in fact in almost anything.



What inspires you?
Almost anything beautiful. Of course, as with everything, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. For me it keeps coming back to the details and the generally overseen. Metal objects in decomposition generally appeal. That something so solid eventually crumbles, and with such intense colour, attracts me. Other colourful items and quirky details and patterns in nature rarely escape my lens.
Here are some artists, sites and books that inspire me:
Creative photos by Chema Madoz
A Photographers Guide to Webb Bridge
Andrew Brown Photography
Fruit by Wolfgang Stuppy and Rob Kesseler
Artforms in Nature by Ernst Haeckel
Bronwyn Oliver



What's your favourite medium to work in?

Hard question to answer as a photographer. Close up! I’m a bit of a ‘can’t get close enough’ type photographer. If I had the equipment I’d probably be doing those microscope photographs showing plant & insect details 100x. ;o) It’s all in the hidden/overseen detail.

What would you be lost without ....
My sense of the obscure and the ability to see the details many miss.



What's your fave crafty read?

Can’t say I read any crafty books/mags. I mostly surf the net or go to markets for my craft/art fix.



What do you like to listen to when you craft?

Depending on the mood: Classical
Soundtrack: The Mission, Passengers, Vince & Grace — Come in Spinner, Sting — Mercury Falling/ Crowded House, Billy Joel, The Audreys, The Waifs

What crafty forums do you lurk in ....
Etsy Forums and Red Bubble



Whats up next for you on the craft front?
Honing my welding skills with my recent birthday present so I can tap into some of the creative ideas that have been floating around in my head for years!



Do you have any UFO's (unfinished objects), what are they?
An optimistic (read ‘highly advanced skills required’!) piece that I started when I did my first welding course. I aimed for the sky, although I didn’t realise it at the time (it looked pretty easy to me), but as with many things like it, once I had some knowledge on the subject, I realised how incredibly difficult it would be. Haven’t given up yet, though. ;o)



Where else can people shop for your goodies?
My business is still in its embryonic stage but orders by email are always welcome. focus [at] stewardson [dot] net should be set up soon. In the meantime I’m still using robyn.stew [at] rdson [dot] net

I look forward to hearing from you!


3 comments:

  1. I love your close up shots Robyn, particularly the Christmas bauble. Slightly abstract or obscure. Do you have any of these in cards.
    thanks Linda xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way your blog on this site looks great!
    here's hoping you sell lots tomorrow. oops today! love LJxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Linda: I have the bauble as cards in 2 versions: both are a square crop of the above image and one has MERRY CHRISTMAS printed on it in white (sideways near the 'spine' of the card). Please contact me at focus [at] stewardson [dot] net Thanks, Robyn

    ReplyDelete

Northside Makers Collective loves to hear from its readers! So, come on, tell us what you're thinking.